Thursday, March 04, 2010

Soulmates schmoulmates

A friend recently asked me whether i think Iskandar is my soulmate, and that kinda caught me offguard a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love him to bits but we do have our differences. Like a LOT. for example, he's into TV shows like Lost and rock music and PS3, while i'm more a Channel E person and r&b and i just can't stand Lost. he's a scruffy messy guy and i'm a neat-freak Monica. he's a movie buff while i always fall asleep halfway. Honestly, I don't think we have much in common but we do come together in the important stuff, like the kids, money and stuff. and he has my back whenever i need him, my shoulder to cry on, a listening ear without judging. i don't feel the need to be around him 24 hours a day, we're quite fine being on our own sometimes.

I define soulmates as people who are totally into each other, think alike and have everything in common. i'm trying hard to not sound cynical but i think anyone who wants to get in your pants can be (or pretend to be) your soulmate. the kind of intense attraction, physical and emotional that gets you on a high usually fizzles at the first sign of boy-girl commitment, let alone marriage. But that's where the fun truly is, discovering the quirks and unsavoury habits and learn to be patient and adapt to the reality coz love is much more than that.

So i guess the above kinda answers the question, no, i don't think Iskandar is my soulmate. He is my lover, a reliable husband and father and my best friend, all rolled into one scruffy, bald mess. and i love him to bits for that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cute! :)

girl with the curls said...

i can't believe i actually hv a reader!thanks for dropping by, nina!hope all is well w u n de boys plus de one inside :)