Tuesday, August 19, 2008

To daycare or not to daycare

Every now and then I call my mum to check on how she's doing with Imran, whether he's been troublesome, naughty etc. The boy's been such a picky eater these past few days that Mum has totally given up trying to feed him proper foods other than milk. My research on the matter tells me to be consistent during mealtimes, and not force him if he doesn't want to eat. I read that toddlers are smart enough not to starve themselves and will ask for food when he's hungry. In this case, Imran just asks for milk and sometimes roti, buah or cake, if he feels like it. Even so, he won't finish the whole roti, buah or cake portion but merely picks at it and take a few nibbles, that's it. I still make him different foods to try every night during dinner and am patiently waiting for him to get his appetite back. Iskandar bought a book on toddler food recipes which is great. I can't wait to try them on him but now with his appetite, I'm not too excited to start yet.

We checked out this daycare centre just behind my office last week. From our chat with the headmistress and walkabout after, the place seems perfect for our little boy. Hopefully with other kids around, he'll be more open to try different foods and develop more on his vocabulary. Maybe the teachers can toilet train him too :P He's a very sociable and active boy and I'm sure he'll enjoy the activities and company of other kids other than us boring grown-ups. The thing is, my Mum isn't too keen to let him go. She's been taking care of him since he was born and says that she'll be so lonely without Imran. Dilemma! On one hand, I know how difficult and tiring it is to run after a 2-yr old and I want to release Mum off this burden - but at the same time, I do not want her to feel lonely.

I'm hoping that our new maid will arrive soon. That way we can get our lives back on track and Mum will get to watch her sinetrons in peace. The agent said she'll try her best to get one within 3 weeks. She'd better put our RM3,600.00 (and that's just the deposit!) to good use..

No comments: